The Social Affairs Division will be responsible for carrying out the following social regulation associated with the ICT and Media Sector.
Consumer protection of ICT and Media
- Protect consumers of ICT and Media services, among others, the rate charged for, and the quality and variety of ICT service provided.
- Provide an efficient, effective and affordable mechanism for the investigation and resolution of complaints.
- Conduct advocacy on ICT and Media service as well as consumer code.
- Periodically review the content of the Licensees (FM Radio/TV Station/CATV Station/Print media).
- Set standards and guidelines related to media for issuance to the Media Council.
- Determine and develop public service obligation of the broadcaster and carry out periodic review.
- Develop and review the programme code including advertisement standards periodically.
- Periodically carry out review/research on the international/regional best practices related to content management
Universal Service Programme
- Plan and manage universal service plan and universal service fund
- Ensure universal access to all ICT services at affordable rate
- Design the universal service programme as per the directive of the Royal Government based on the regional and international best practices.
- Conduct periodical review/research on achieving universal and affordable ICT services and accordingly formulate action plans for achieving universal service programme.
- Develop and maintain the database on the rural communication programmes implemented under the US Programme.
- Collect and process information on the list of villages with no coverage as well as partial coverage of mobile services.
- Periodically monitor the environmental impact of ICT services, without imposing environmental (green and health) measures on the industry.