The Resource Management division of the Authority has the core mandate to manage resources like the radio spectrum and numbering in the country.
With the development of communications system and increase in the use of wireless services, the demand for the resources like radio frequency spectrum has increased considerably. The radio frequency is a scarce and limited national resource. There is a significant risk of spectrum resources becoming unreliable or at worst, unusable because of congestion caused by over usage and the interference caused by inappropriate assignment. In addition the increasing use of illegal radio apparatus has also adversely affected the wireless communication.
Functions/Roles and Responsibilities
Some of the roles and responsibilities of the Division are;
- Carry out detailed planning of radio frequency spectrum and formulate the radio frequency allocation table and spectrum band plans.
- Allocate and assign the radio frequency spectrum providing the frequency rights to the valid users.
- Carry out the radio frequency inspection and monitoring of users and radio stations.
- Carry out interference resolution whenever there is/are interference complaints and issues between the two or more radio users.
- Develop the radiocommunication technical standards for compliance by the users and radio stations.
- Carry out the frequency coordination with the neighboring states.
- Keep update with and implement the recommendations and resolutions of the International Telecommunications Union.
- Implement universal service programs as per the policy directives. Study, propose and identify alternatives approach to achieve universal access. Manage the universal service fund and media development fund in a sustainable manner. Conduct survey and studies related to the program.
- Study new ICT technologies and prepare regulatory strategies
- Develop numbering plan, research and implement efficient numbering plan. Liaise with Licensing division to incorporate the required terms and conditions in the license or for any additional directive.
- Study the tariff structure of all the licensed services and recommend specific actions to make the services affordable and sustainable.
- Regularly review the interconnection and infrastructure rule. Suggest suitable action to avoid the duplication of infrastructure and cost effective among the licensees.
- In collaboration with the Licensing division review the ICT service rules for better regulation and management. Conduct field survey in collaboration with the Licensing division.