The Social Affairs Division will be responsible for carrying out the following social regulation associated with the ICT and Media Sector.
Licensing of Printing Press and Publication Houses
- Issuance of licence for printing press including enforcement of its terms and conditions.
- Issuance of licence for newspaper/book/periodical publication house including enforcement of its terms and conditions.
- Periodically review the content of the Licensees (FM Radio/TV Station/CATV Station/Print media).
- Set standards and guidelines related to media for issuance to the Media Council.
- Determine and develop public service obligation of the broadcaster and carry out periodic review.
- Develop and review the programme code including advertisement standards periodically.
- Periodically carry out review/research on the international/regional best practices related to content management
Registration of Books
- Issuance of registration number for books which are meant to be made available for sale or distribution to the public in Bhutan, whether published within Bhutan or otherwise.
Universal Service Programme
- Plan and manage universal service plan and universal service fund
- Ensure universal access to all ICT services at affordable rate
- Design the universal service programme as per the directive of the Royal Government based on the regional and international best practices.
- Conduct periodical review/research on achieving universal and affordable ICT services and accordingly formulate action plans for achieving universal service programme.
- Develop and maintain the database on the rural communication programmes implemented under the US Programme.
- Collect and process information on the list of villages with no coverage as well as partial coverage of mobile services.
- Periodically monitor the environmental impact of ICT services, without imposing environmental (green and health) measures on the industry.
For further information, you can contact the Social Affairs Division at email@example.com